Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

"What's Cookin' This Week!" 9/17-9/23

Here's what's going to be cooking in my house this week. I hope you find at least one of these recipes worthy of cooking for yourself or your family. I always try and find kid-friendly recipes because mine are super-picky!! If you ever have any suggestions or low-calorie recipes that you enjoy then please share them with me. You can email me the recipe or post it on my facebook to share with everyone. Enjoy!!!

Monday - Baked or Grilled Chicken w/Rice & Lentil Salad by Eating Well & Lemon Lovers Roasted Asparagus

I will plan on either grilling or baking my chicken breast with a little Mrs. Dash Seasoning (salt free) and serving it with the rice & lentil salad. The salad has about 250 calories per serving so, for myself, I will add a 3-ounce chicken breast to minimize the calories (which will add about 80 calories to the meal). I LOVE roasted veggies!! Roasting always seems to bring out the best flavors in a veggie (plus it's super easy). If you don't like lemon, then you can take it out of this recipe and it will still taste great. When roasting my asparagus I will keep checking for doneness (crisp-tender) by poking it with a fork There's nothing worse than overdone mushy asparagus....yuck!!

Tuesday - Almond-Crusted Chicken Fingers by Eating Well w/baked sweet potato and side salad

My sides will be sweet potato and salad. Cooking the potato in the microwave is much quicker than trying to bake it in the oven. I will usually have a 3 to 4 ounce serving size of a sweet potato sprinkled with cinnamon (which yields approximately 80 to 100 calories). If you are dressing your salad, then make sure you measure you try and measure it. I like bolthouse farms dressings cause they are all natural and low-calorie.


I will end up using field greens for my salad since this is what I usually buy for my side salads. I love adding salad to my dinners because it gives my family a variety of veggies and makes up for what they don't get throughout the day. As for the bacon, I always get Hormel's Natural Selection Bacon because it's nitrate free. 


I will use LaTortilla Factory High-Fiber Low Carb Tortilla to save some calories. I have made the cucumber, mango, black bean salad before and it is really tasty. I don't like spicy food so I leave out the jalapeno.


Even though I am a meat eater, I don't miss it in this recipe. It's because of this recipe that I now prefer to have meatless chili!


This meal is great if you don't have a lot of time to prepare dinner. I will use a pinch of ginger powder instead of peeled fresh ginger to save time and money. The brown rice will be plain but you could always cook it with chicken broth in place of water to add a little more flavor.


I have used this recipe several times and have replaced it with lean stew beef (already cubed) and also venison. The mixture of the seasonings with with the broth and wine make it really flavorful (and the house smells great when its cooking). This recipe takes about 2 to 3 hours to make (mostly simmering time) so make sure you plan to make it on a day where you will be lounging or puttering around the house. 

**If you need help or guidance with developing a personalized exercise or weight loss regimen then please feel free to contact me at info@centralfloridapersonaltrainers.com or call (386) 295-3926.  I offer one-on-one personal training services with several personal training package options that can be tailored to your specific goals and needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment